Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lake District & Back

Decided to do a course in dry stone walling over the weekend (stone walls being one of my obsessions!) in the Lake District. So as to get some training in I thought I'd cycle there and back with a return ferry trip to Heysham, Lancs., thrown in.


I was on my road bike which meant no panniers, which meant big rucksack, which meant sore back! By in large I enjoyed it, being back on the saddle in unfamiliar territory gave me the taste of touring again and made me think of NZ. I'll almost certainly be buying a new mountain bike which I'll convert for touring later on in the summer after the games.

Ride stats (from home to Lake District and back)

Time = 7:12hrs, Distance = 183km (114 miles), Av. Speed = 25.4kph, Max. sp. = 64.4kph

Anyway, weekly review later today, for now here's some pictures of the weekend...

The peeps on the course and our wall in the background (luckily my section is well covered - I was rubbish!)


Back home - the tower of refuge (built in 1800s as a haven for shipwrecked sailors) with early morning sun behind a photographically-fortuitous cloud!

The green hills of home. Looking NW(ish) out over Abbeylands.

-AC

No comments: