Sunday, May 06, 2007

Review point

Review of week 26 (30-04 to 06-05)
Periodisation: Build 1
Weekly aims were:
  1. Two high intensity swim sessions (Tues & Sat)
  2. High quality run session on track – 4/5 5 min intervals at race pace (Thurs)
  3. Easy day Sunday – Peel 2 Douglas Run is on Mon 7th May.
  4. Planned number of hours = 13

Got in my two quality swim sessions. Tues session focussed on endurance work at a fairly high intensity (it was hard anyway!) and Sat session focussed on speed work using intervals of increasing distance up to 20% of total race distance.

My high quality run session (Thurs) did not materialise. I was sore from working on Wed and paid the price of not adhering to my 4th training objective. Must try harder to manage work commitments.

Supposed to have an easy day today (Sun) in preparation for tomorrow's Peel to Douglas road race (10 mile run). Could a 100km 3:45 cycle today be considered easy? Well my average speed was around 27kph which is considered easy but there were a few tricky hill climbs so it was probably harder than I should have done. However, I was feeling good for it and when you feel good you go for it! I guess I'll know by tomorrow night whether I did too much today.

Hours planned = 13. Hours done = just over 12. I'm happy with this given I lost out on Thursday's track session.

Physiological stats


Average Weight (kg) in morning: 72.3 (up 0.7kg)

Average Heart Rate (bpm) in morning: 42 (up 1bpm)

There was a direct correlation between hard days at work (Tues & Wed) and an elevated HR in the morning (4 or 5 bpm higher). Emphasises training objective 4 again. My average weight in morning is up nearly 1% on last week. Since I don't think I'm getting fatter, it could be due to increased muscle mass due to work and swimming which is making my upper body slightly bigger - I hope!

All in all a decent week in which I've been shown the effects of my gardening work on my body's ability to train.


Preview of week 27: 07-05 to 14-05

Periodisation: Build 1

Weekly aims:

  1. Top 3 finish in Peel to Douglas run (hopefully sub 60 minutes)
  2. Complete a Swim:Bike brick (back to back) session on Wed
  3. Complete 7-8 hours cycling in week
  4. Planned number of hours = 14

No comments: