Sunday, May 13, 2007

Tired & unmotivated

Review of week 27 (07-05 to 13-05)
Periodisation: Build 1
Weekly aims were:
  1. Top 3 finish in Peel to Douglas run (hopefully sub 60 minutes)
  2. Complete a Swim:Bike brick (back to back) session on Wed
  3. Complete 7-8 hours cycling in week
  4. Planned number of hours = 14

Achieved 1, happy with that result (pat on the back!). My swim-bike combined session got moved to Thurs due to sore legs on from 1. This in turn meant I had to cancel a high quality run session on Thurs (and therefore only did 13 hours in week) which I'm not too chuffed about. Completed nearly 10 hours on bike so got no.3.

So, on the face of it, a successful week? Nah. Not happy. This blog was meant to capture the highs and lows, and apart from the Peel to Doulgas run, this week has certainly been a low. I've been nursing a niggle in my right glute/hamstring, have been continuously tired and as a consequence, have struggled with motivation to complete quality training. Lack of motivation and tiredness has caused me to be irritable most of the week (not much fun for Mum and Dad!). It has also meant my eating habits have been a bit ridiculous: characterised by overeating and lack of variety simply because of a 'can't be arsed cooking' attitude.

This is reflected in...

...Physiological stats


Average Weight (kg) in morning: 73.0 (up 0.7kg)

Average Heart Rate (bpm) in morning: 46.7 (up 4.7bpm)

Significantly my HR has been up markedly the last few days to around 50bpm, and coupled with this, it's not as regular as in previous weeks. Sometimes it beats faster for a few seconds before returning to a more normal rate. This tells me instantly something ain't right.

Not worried about weight increase because I know this is probably related to overeating i.e. due to be unmotivated/tired. This will sort itself out with plenty of rest.

So simple solution: rest.

Given the above I've decided to detour away from my planned schedule (which would see me do 15/16 hours) in a bid to regain some motivation and get some rest for the Peel triathlon which is 20th May, i.e. the end of upcoming week...


Preview of week 28: 14-05 to 20-05

Periodisation: Build 1 (changed to recovery-based race-prep week)

Weekly aims:

  1. Win Peel Triathlon (have to aim high!)
  2. Get plenty of sleep and start eating right again.
  3. Practice transition routine twice before sunday.
  4. 8-10 hours (reduced from 15/16)

Just so you know, the Peel Tri is a very significant race even though it's only a small local event. This is because I'll be racing against my Island Games team mates and we'll be all out to beat each other under the scrutiny of the local athletic fraternity and the press. Frankly, it's exciting, I frickin' love the course and I love the competition; if I can't use that to stoke up some motivation I might as well quit now!

-AC

No comments: